Legal aid is qualitatively equal to services provided by Advocates : Justice Uday Umesh Lalit,

staff Reporter

Supreme Court Judge and Executive Chairman of National Legal Services Authority (NALSA), Justice Uday Umesh Lalit, said that the Legal Services Authorities must become Rajamargas into the temple of Justice.

Addressing the Pan India Legal Awareness and Outreach campaign organised at a Function Hall on the outskirts of Sangareddy town on Sunday, the Supreme Court Judge said that it will be possible only if the Legal aid is qualitatively equal to the services provided outside by the advocates.

Saying that the Legal Services Authorities were just facilitating the legal aid, Justice Lalit said Advocates must come forward to provide quality legal aid to potential beneficiaries which will build confidence in the entire Legal Aid Apparatus.

Stating that only 1 per cent of petitioners, who had approached criminal courts in the country, were approaching Legal Services Authorities seeking assistance, the NALSA Executive Chairman said that it does not mean the remaining 99 per cent does not need the legal aid.

Appealing to the advocates to make providing legal aid part of their profile, Justice Lalit said the quality of legal aid service will motivate more people to approach the Legal Services Authorities. As part of their 45-day programme, he said that the para-legal volunteers were touring all the villages to educate the citizens on the services being provided by Legal Services Authorities. Justice Lalit further said that the volunteers will visit every village at least once during these 45 days.

He distributed 10 three-wheeler mopeds to Physically Challenged persons, laptops to a couple of blind persons, and a Rs 1 crore cheque to a woman who approached the District Legal Services Authority seeking her due share from the partition of properties from her family members. After watching a song made on Legal aid being provided by TSLSA, Justice Lalit suggested the NALSA officials translate the same song into all the languages. He said that he was impressed by the way the video song was portrayed.

Chief Justice of Telangana High Court Justice Sathish Chandra Sharma, Executive Chairman Telangana State Legal Services Authority (TSLSA) and High Court Judge Justice Ujjal Bhuyan, High Court Judges Justice T Vinod Kumar, Justice A Abhishek Reddy, Justice Sridevi, District Judge Justice B Papi Reddy, Member Secretary TSLSA Y Renuka, District Collector M Hanumantha Rao and others were present.

Related Posts

You can share this post!